Vaccination Certificates will be required at registration. This is the new government regulation under the traffic light system. Masks and Covid scanning are mandatory.
Sorry no Vaccination Certificate, no swim.
The Port Nelson Summer Sea Swims are held each Thursday night at 6pm from the Nelson Yacht Club ramp on Wakefield Quay in Nelson. Swimmers must check-in before 6pm on race night.
**ALL competitors must REGISTER ONLINE no later than the night before their first swim!!! Online registration is simple and means you’re registered for any of the Thursday night swims. If you just want to do one or a few swims then select ‘Pay at Event’ under Payment Options and bring cash on the night of your swim. Note we can no longer guarantee on-the-night registrations! Priority will be given to those who have pre-registered. If the registration team is unable to enter your details into the registration system before 6pm you won’t be able to swim that evening.**
Season registration is $120 includes a swim cap (unlimited swims, 18 swims in total)
Single swim is $15 per swim +$5 for swim cap (you must have the correct colour coded series swim cap, which can be used again over the season). No discounts on single swims or on the night entries.
PAYMENT OPTIONS (Choose one option)
- Pay online Full Series ($120) -select this option to pay online (non-member).
- Club member ($70) -$50 discount off full series, must be Nelson Tri Member. -select this option to pay online as a club member. Note you must be a registered member to receive the discount. To become a member goto: New members join here or to renew your membership goto: My Membership
- School Student U16 ($60) -50% discount off full series. -select this option to pay online for school student U16.
- Pay at Event (single swim) -bring cash on the night of swim. -select this option if you plan to do just one or a few races, and pay $15 (cash only) when you check in each night ($20 on the first night to include a cap). Note there are no discounts for casual swims or on-the-day entries.
On each night there will be a short and a long course. The short swim will generally be 300m-800m, while the long swim will be 1000m-1500m. Exact distances will vary depending on conditions. Where possible, the short course swim will extend to longer distances in the new year.
Starts will be in waves:
- Short swim (orange caps).
Long course (3 separate waves)
- Strong swimmers starting first (1-white caps)
- Confident swimmers in wave two (2-green caps)
- Recreational swimmers in wave three (3-red caps)
Less confident swimmers are asked to start at the rear of wave two or three. Kayakers will endeavour to keep a closer watch on these swimmers, who will also be in view of a shore official at all times. Choose these options if you enjoy the company and security of the series environment, but are not concerned about competition or times (times will be taken however as this is a check that all swimmers are accounted for).
Times will be adjusted to reflect the wave start, so you’ll receive your exact swim time. However, it’s important that you verify your wave start on registration and have the correct coloured cap.
Note: Our registration team will download the entry list before 8:30 am on the day of the race, therefore be sure to register before 8:30am on the day of the race to be listed on that night’s registration list. If you register after this time we may ask you to register again at the event as we won’t have your details. However, we will honour any payments made online, please bring proof ie email confirmation.
Given the nature of the event and the challenges of tide and wave conditions, it is important that all athletes feel comfortable and confident swimming 500m front crawl in open water, whilst making significant forward progress at all times. Adherence to this requirement will be at the sole discretion of the race director.
Note: Nelson Triathlon Club has a NO REFUND policy on club events.